Third Age RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where people can roleplay in the world created by JRR Tolkien

2 posters

The Night Before the Battle

Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

The Night Before the Battle Empty The Night Before the Battle

Post by Radiwalker Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:17 am

The Night Before the Battle Dark_Elf_Swordsman_by_sarafim

Elion was walking underneath the starry sky. He was on scouting duty near the borders of the elven lands. An attack was expected, so he had brought a small force of elven soldiers with him. Being a renowned general, one of the best, he was expected to take care of such tasks with ease, but tonight he was distracted. Recently he had been thinking about the direction in which the World was going. It seemed that for some time everything had been at a stand still, while now it was slowly starting to move in a direction that foretold war.

His hair was short and silverly white. He was wearing the same battle armor as that of a Súl Ehel, instead of his usual archer clothing. He had prepared for battle. Carrying a long sword and a small axe he had taken from the armory.

The elf had reached a cliff overseeing the valley bellow, where the lands controlled by the mountain orcs began. The view was more than picturesque. It was beatiful, the way the moonlight was gracefully falling on the land, giving it a silver shine. Elion`s thoguhts of worry went away and he enjoyed the moment. The night seemed peaceful, he thought no attack would come before the morning.

Last edited by Radiwalker on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

The Night Before the Battle Empty Re: The Night Before the Battle

Post by nitenovanavium Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:36 am

The Night Before the Battle SIF-FIGHT-3-600x375

Sif on the other hand, was stalking the forests near the boarder of goblin-town, the cliffs only meters away. Their search was for Rivendell, though their progress was slow, and the forest was confusing even during the direct sunlight. Upon his back was a harnes of sorts with a scabbard reachable from the massive Werewolves maw. His sword "Calibur" was sheathed within it. Looking deeply into the forest, a direction they must at one point soon head, he picked up the scent of something interesting.

Stalking toward the direction of the Smell, Sif was only an Acolyte of the Fist of souron at this point, standing much smaller, though still the size of a cart horse, with a wolves dimensions. He moved step by step as silent as the Grave until he saw an elf peering up at the sky. What would an Elf be doing here? Perhaps Sif could torture him, or perhaps he was lost, or in exile, though none of this mattered to Sif, what he saw, was prey.

Though something sparked his interest, he found himself not drawn on his bloodthirsty nature as much as his curiosity. The Elf was armed well, but he had smelt no others... which was curious. A trap? Sif detested the idea, but it was a probable eventuality, should he charge the elf, enchanted arrows would reign down upon him, as the Grey Wolf Sif was already an Urban Legend in this neck of the woods.

So, Sif revealed his fantastical coat to the moonlight, stepping out one step at a time, before opening his maw and speaking.

What brings a half elven so close to a boarderfort of Goblin town, i wonder, a sentry, a scout, an exile...a SPY!?

He spoke with interest, caution and suspition, no longer mindful of his surroundings, though Sif was kitted up as if he were a mount to something, or someone, of unknown origin.
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:04 am

Elion gasped, when he heard a voice from behind him. He hadn`t heard a single footstep and concidered himself rather lucky, that much like himself, the one who spoke to him, was reluctant to fight that fine evening and perhaps even prefered to engage in conversation.

Elion - "Perhaps I am a lone ranger, a wanderer, an elf with no purpose, or I might as well be the son of the king, or the king himself. But really, what does it matter, when it is more than apparent, that neither of us is looking for a fight, under the bright light of the moon. I, for one, was looking for some peace, given the direction in which events are going, very soon we might not have much time to rest, especially in evenings like this."

While speaking, the elf turned around to face his counterpart, sheething his weapons, in a sign of good will. He bent his knees and placed one hand behind his back, to soften his drop on the ground. When his butt hit the land a small smoke of dust came up, as it seemed this was a place, which few ever visited, despite the breathtaking view it had.

The elf examined the wolf that had spoken to him. He knew these creatures were fearsome and perhaps even to be concidered an enemy, but he saw no harm in talking to one. The wolf was well equipped, almsot as if it was somebody`s mount, but that was not for certain, as it could be just carrying it`s own belongings. Throughout his many years in these lands, Elion had seen many things and unless he was to stumble across the one ring, nothing could surprise him. He motioned to the beast to take a seat, as the night was young and both seemed to need a rest from the world they lived in.
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 am

The wolf moved closer to the Elf, though he was no longer cautious there was a potential bestial nature to the wolf, and as he moved forward and sat down, easily as tall as the elf, even in a sitting position, the wolf took a deep sigh. Looking up at the moon, the urge to let out a ghastly howl was silenced, for a long time this was his forest, but the Elf was right, it was clear to him that the Elf nor him wished to fight, which in these tough times, was natural.

For once, Half Elven, i can agree with one of your kind, I grow tiard of fighting, of hunting, it seems to be all i do these days. I am supprised to see the moon does not weap blooded tears for she must watch us all die for such petty masters with petty ideals.

the Great grey wolf spoke for a second before lying down, resting his head over his crossed over paws. It had been a long time since he had talked to someone other than his friend Astorias, so, all of a sudden he was interested in this Half elf, and for his motivations.

What called you to the Blade Half Elf? What cause beckons you to raise it? Every warrior has their reason, Every soldier, their own cause for signing up to the War, as an Elf, your reason must be deep, as you are safe in the depths of your forests, and your spells.

He didn't answer his own question himself, for he was interested and the Elf had not asked.
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 am

The elf observed as teh wolf took a seat besides him, while speaking poetically and then asking a question. A question which sank the elf into deep thoughts. It was funny actually how he had started off. He was intrigued by weapons and the art of war, he was eager to grow up and fight to protect his people and now how the tides had turned. He had grown, nearly a thousand years old and was tired of the fighting, but couldn`t stop, as he had sworn to potect his people.

Elion - "When I was young I was passionate about weapons and using them and actually fighting, to protect what was dear to me. But the more I grew, the more I came to despise war. However, now, it is too late for me to back out, as if I do, many lives will be lost because of my egoism. What about you, wolf, you are not a typical beast, there is something about you, what is your purpose?"

The elf was wildly intrugued by the one keeping him company. It was a most unlikely fellow, or so Elion thought.
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm

The wolf let out a small huff, as to why the Elf fought, he too seemed to be shrouded in this ideal of mortal sentimentality, he didn't like those who fought for the protection of the weak, it was not the way of the wild, nor was it the way of survival. He could understand the protection of ones own seed. Or ancestery, but others one did not know was beyond the wolves comprehension. They should be strong enough to take care of themselves or have their own protector relevent to themselves, if they dont, then they were weak, and to be disposed of. Though if one proved themselves strong... it was the duty of the strong not to destroy them.

That's why he liked goblins, fearful by nature, they did not overwhelm strong targets, rather than rear from them at the first sign of true opposition. It meant that person would most likely be spared in the long run. Allowing only the strong to survive.

I fight in my own pusuit for strength, and overall, my own survival in a world that is overflowing with darkness, I once thought myself indestructable. Like the proud Eagles. Though I met a man, a giant of a man, who would tower over the likes of you. He showed me I was not invulnerable, a deed i prize highly, illuminating my mortality on this mortal coil. Illuminating my foolishness. Though I won the fight in the end. You may not understand what it means to be the highest of the foodchain, and then realise you are not. But my pointy eared friend, that is what befell me...

When he finished he looked up to see the face of the Elf, not knowing quite how he would react to the Wolves tale, wether he would decipher its hidden meaning or even the rumour of who he really was, though he may get a hint. Elves were not known for their foolishness. And Sif did not care for the hiding of his identity. Should this Elf prove to be elrond half-elven himself Sif would not attack, for it had been decided this hilltop was a place of peace between the Greywolf and the elves.

This elf, at the very least
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 am

Listening to the unlikely companion`s story, Elion`s ears sharpened, he had heard tales, many tales at that. He was once indeed a ranger and still kept in contact with old friends, travellers, who told him various stories, some of which had great resemblance to this one.

The conclusion was easy to reach, the elven prince was having a chat with a grave enemy of his people. No matter how much he would like to deprive his people of this burden, he couldn`t. For elves were well know for keeping true to their word and he would do so tonight as well. He had said that he was not in that place to fight and that he would`t raise his weapon.

Many a thoughts flooded the elf`s mind. Perhaps this wolf was searching for his people, for their cities, or perhaps he was scouting. What was his purpose really? But then sense came into the elf`s mind, he realised there was no way to find out, without breaking his word, or asking and even if he asked, his counterpart was smarted than to answer such a question directly, so Elion simply irected his flow of thought towards the story.

His eyes were slightly resting, the breeze was blowing through his short hair and he took a moment to lay back and enjoy the fine evening. Despite realising who his companion was, the elf felt no fear of betrayal whatsoever, which was strange to him.

The story he had jsut heard was interesting, for it described fully well, how nobody was invincible and nobody was undefeatable, rather the important thing was to learn from your mistakes and improve yourself, so you do better next time and survive to perhaps come to see the end of the war.

That was another interesting topic. The end of the war. Would such a thing ever come? Was it possible? What would have to happen for the war to end? Hasn`t there always been a war, despite the differences in military activity throughout the ages?

Elion - "War. What do you think of it? Will it ever end? If so, how?"

The elf changed the subject of their discussion, as he wanted to hear the enemy`s oppinion on the war. It`s activity and progress and perhaps, it`s eventual end.
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 am

Sif looked at the Elf and saw his realisation, he was not an idiot, this was good, though he took a descernable amount of joy in realising that every fibre in the Elfs' body would almost be commanding him to fight him for the benefit of his people. Though Sif too detested the war and fighting. A deep part of himself wanted this war to end, if not just because of the noise. He was a werewolf, but the spirit within him was not trapped and tortured like the ones implanted into others. He occured naturally, perhaps why he was in the wild for so long.

War will never end so long as foul creatures inhabit these lands. The likes of mankind, the dwarves, the goblins, even the Orcs. They are all fueled by greed and want for conflict... unlike you elves. That seems to be a disease you have not inherited like they have. Which is why it saddens me you fight and die along side them. War, will not end, so long as the races who embrace war, yet live.

He said softly, sitting up and looking at the Elf, who may believe him to be right. Mankind, should there be no orcs, would find something to distrust, and try to fight it. They will never be content with what they have. The Dwarves, once there were no jewles to mine, they would seek out something else.

I do not believe myself greater than man, nor do I believe myself greater than dwarves, goblins, or orcs. But for ultimate peace, all of these races must fall as silent as the grave. Only once as a pup, did i ever see Rivendell. though i saw it not as a city, carved from nature. I saw a City integrated with it... It was... truly a sight to behold. I wish you could teach that, to many, many others.
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm

The elf was astonished by the wolf`s admiration of Rivindell. However, he took his thoughts to the rest of his counterpart`s words. He was against war as a whole and truly saw the main problem with the land and it`s inhabitants. It was strange he admired elves, although foughting against them. Elion let a moment, or two pass by, as he listened in to the quiet night, gasping at the beautiful stars above them. After which he spoke with a calm and slightly quieter voice, as if to not disturb the fine evening, which they were trying to enjoy.

Elion - "You are correct. They will always find a reason to wage war and corrupt the land, which they so need to live. It is ironical really. However, what you do not take into account is beliefs. Do you not think that men and dwarven beliefs are better than those of the orcs and the easterlings. Are the orcs not the once who seek to control the land, corrupt it and grant ultimate power to their dark master? What is your say on beliefs? Also if you value elfs so highly, why do you fight against us?"
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:42 am

The beliefs of the orcs? The Great Wolf questioned, if there was any merit in them at all he could see none at all. Their beliefs are nothing but tortured visions and revenge, imparted into them by the accursed beings and MEN who created them. They are not a people, they are tools, wired to only serve the strong so that their masters could keep control. Once the tool is rusted and unneeded, it is destroyed.

Sif spoke of it so simply. As if he were casting away a rusted dagger, or a broken hammer, he obviously held no reguard for the Orcs as a race in the slightest. Though the Wargs he pitied. As well as the Werewolves. These creatures were unfortunate constructs, but his vision was cast over them too in the same light. Though it was unfortunate.

I hold no love for the orcs, and i know the blight that they are, but unlike the blight of man, the orcs can be completely reigned without the fear of rebellion. I would gladly lead the likes of man instead, and campaign against the orcs, but would man follow a creature such as I? No, Gondor wars with Rohan who wars with the next human city and the next, and the next. There could be no peace. But Goblins, they're supprisingly unitable, due to their simplicity, and destructive nature... but they are only shadows created by man, and the gods of men. So what do you expect them to be? Something can only be what its maker makes them.
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 am

Elion shook his head, as he saw flaws in what the wolf believed. Well perhaps not flaws, but contradictions with his own views, believes and knowledge.

Elion - "You are wrong. Orc have minds of their own, as well as beliefs of their own. They are not brainwashed, nor manipulated, it is simply what they choose to do, I just don`t inderstand why. Perhaps it is their hate for humans, who have forsaken them."

he elf gasped as a few stars glimmered brightly, it took them only a second, but the moment felt like an eternity to the elf. It was a beautiful sight, one that would be ingrained in his mind, he could spend his whole life staring at the stars and he would like it, but he had duties to attend to and he could not ignore them.

Elion - "The maker is the one who gives the boundries of the creation, but whether the creation will reach it`s full potential us unknown and depends on the individual. Furthermore, beings evolute through time. Look at how we elves have changed. Some evolutions are for better some are for worse, but they are independant from the creators. So you see, your beliefs are flawed."
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 am

did i say they were mindless, no, only inclined to a set of psychological personality traits which were put there by the people who created them. Meaning they are inclined to mindless violence, and are easily manipulated by the strong. This was imprinted on them by their makers.

The wolf stood and began to walk away as he turned, and with his eyes to the sky a series of falling stars began to stream from the sky like falling tears. The Wolf saw them, and watched them until their end. Taking it as a sign...

Goodbye elf, may you live long or find mortal love.

With the final sentiment the wolf leapt into the forest to be swallowed by the darkness of the trees, as if he instantly transported his corporeal form from point A to point B. Running out of the forest and appearing at the Orc camp. They reared away from him in fear. Leaping up to a nearby mountain perch.

AWWWROOOOOOOOOOOOOO-oooooooooooooooooooooo

The wolf howled rallying the orcs to them, the haunting howl of the Wolf King echoed over the elven forest for miles and miles. The howl seemed to turn the full moon red as the wolf's eyes glowed with magical power. The moon red as blood, was a sign of the Great Grey wolf's coming. From here they would make a pass to the realms of men. Though they had to pass the elves first. And Sif had a gut feeling they would not let them pass lightly
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:00 am

Elion still disagreed with the wolf, as he himself had seen smart orcs, much different from the ones he described, but that had little meaning, for their conversation was over and he had to return to his men. The wolf disappeared into the night and so did Elion, after throwing one last gaze to the valley below.

THe elven prince returned to his troops, consisting of one squad of spearmen, one squad of Súl Ehel and one squad of archers. He was assigned to scout the borders with them, make sure everything was safe.

And then it came a loud howl, with the intensity of a battle raor. Elion realised that he would soon meet the wolf in battle, he redied his troops and they set off for the pass in the forrest, the path leading to the lands of men. The elf hoped they would get there in time. The battle would be held on their terrain, so they had the upper hand.
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 am

Sif marched the ranks of goblins in the center of his ranks. behind the group of 100 sword and shield men he towered above them all. The blade of Astorias at his side he walked at the rate of their scramble. One groups of 100 archers were at his back while the Warg riders and the other 100 archers were well up the hill at their flank. Taking the high route out of dangers path like mountain lions.

As he marched however Sif had conjured an illusion. He knew the elves were here and that they would attack. Before him, another 25% of his goblin force were not real. the swordsmen counted at 125 soldiers. Illusions spread amongst them to distract. Elves did not miss with their arrows. So an illusion hit with precision, would cause the arrow to miss. Whilst a wild firing man may hit another target. He would use the Elves' advantage against them, if he had to.

The magic however had kept the goblins' spirit high. An archers' attack from the forest would more than likely break the front rank until Sif leaped in there himself to rally them. Or the wargs. one or the other would suffice.

They tread carefully, keeping their eyes and noses on the road. The next human town would secure their passage into the more central human territories as well as secure a flank to attack them from. Possibly destroying many of them. Sif was saddened, but at the same time overjoyed.
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 pm

The enemy was approching. Their steady march was dreadful, but the elves were steady and ready. The spearmen and Súl Ehel Squds were positioned on one side of the road, the spearmen being slightly ahead, so as to be able to cut off the enemy`s path, while the Súl Ehel would flank the enemy forces. The archers were positioned directly across from the spearmen, so they could rain arrows in the enemy`s front lines and cause them to retreat, pushing them into the ambushing Súl Ehel.

Elion was leading the ambush squad. He had drawn his weapons and was more than ready for a fight. The enemy was in sight and the elves remained hidden among the trees, blending in, they were virtualyl unnoticable in such grounds, as even their scents, merged with those of the trees. That was the elves` greatest advantage and they were going to use it to the fullest.

As the enemy forces came in range, the spearmen were the first to make an appearance, charging in, cutting off the road ahead and attacking the advancing orcs, while the archers rained arrows from the other side of the road. Unfortunately most of the first wave of arrows missed, apparently hitting illusions. A smart tactic, but that didn`t throw the elves off, they continued following their orders, protecting the woods. Elion waited a moment and then charged in from behind with the squad of Súl Ehel. He waved his weapons left and right, cutting through his enemies, his short silver hair, waving around, as he moved swiftly. The battle was unfolding and teh stakes were big.
    nitenovanavium
    nitenovanavium
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nitenovanavium Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Sif let out a roar of attack. As most of the arrows had missed, the goblins did not fall into confusion. The hundred swords and shields charged the enemy front lines. Poisonous goblin steel in hands and covered in the armour of the Morian Goblins.

But they were being led with skill. The goblins ducked, allowing the archers from behind and the archers upon the hillside to rain down 200 arrows on the spear men. peppering some of their own sword men, But the thick smog of short bow bolts was almost staggering.

Sif Drew the glowing blue seven foot blade from his sheath, holding it in his teeth with a locked jaw. He bounded into the front lines. leaping and landing in front of the spear and swords men swinging the blade in a wide 180 degree arc for the elves. strong enough to break the poles of the spears and hew through even elven armour.

While their leader was in the front lines the archers re-targeted their arrows to the elf archers, The Wargs still waiting low in reserve. only 75 swords men remained after the volley. But with Sif at their head, there were many less elves.
    Radiwalker
    Radiwalker
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Radiwalker Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 am

About as many as half the spearmen fell, as they were charging in and the arrows met most of the weakspots in their armor. The remaining ones stopped and undertook a defensive position, attempting to keep the enemy at a larger distance, with their long sharp spears, their armor was good enough to protect them from the few enemies that would manage to pass between the spears, only a wolf, which seemed to be the leader of the enemy, was causing trouble and was seemingly unstoppable. One of the spearmen managed to scream out above the battle roars and his voice echoed through the forrest.

Spearman - "WEREWOLF!"

Elion and the Súl Ehel were swarming the opposing archers, while the elven archers were focusing fire on the enemy front lines, being safe among the trees, for now. The elven king heard the scream of his soldier and realised that it was none other than the wolf he had spoken to. Perhaps the time for them to confront each other had arrived. Elion rushed through the lines, slashing left and right, bringing down orcs on his own, leaving his men to fight their own battles, while he had a single thought in his head - taking down the enemy leader.

It wasn`t long before he set his eyes on the wolf, he rushed fowards, slashing down another few orcs, leaving them for dead, before he reached the melee range of the werewolf. A clearance was made around them, but the battle didn`t stop, it countinued, just leaving them to have their own duel.

Elion - "So, we meet again and this time, in the midst of battle. I challenge you, for I declare, that you shall not pass through these woods!"

Elion was confident, tightly gripping both of his weapons, he knew that if he was able to defeat the enemy here and drive them back, he would save a great many lives, although he was perhaps at a disagvantage, that didn`t trouble him, for he had found the leader and if the leader was to be defeated, perhaps the rest could be routed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content